There are a lot of people that are trying to find out how to clean dog pee from a couch and the reason could be anything.
For some, it is because their dogs are yet to be potty trained while others have a dog who is incontinent.
Whatever the case, though, it is important to remove the stain as quickly as possible. This should be done immediately it happens or immediately you notice it.
If you get to it quickly enough, you’ll be able to get out the stain and the smell all by yourself using cleaners you already have in your home.
However, if you leave the pee on the couch for days, you might need some professional help to get out the stain and/or smell. Now, let’s get to it.
How to Clean Dog Pee From A Couch
How do you clean dog pee from a couch?
Follow these steps to clean dog pee from a couch:
1. Remove all removables from the couch such as pillows, cushions, covers, throw blankets, and so on.
2. Wash the stain out.
3. Use a vacuum cleaner.
4. Get the smell out.
5. Rinse out.
6. Use an upholstery cleaner to clean the couch.
7. Allow to dry.
Remove All Removables From The Couch
Couches usually have pillows, cushions, covers, and throw blankets that can be removed from the couch. Removing them makes the cleaning easier. You can wash these removable items in the washing machine.
Wash The Stain Out
How do you wash dog pee stain out of a couch?
To wash dog pee stain out of a couch, you’ll need a bowl of water. Add one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid or laundry soap. Now, you could either decide to use a soft-bristled brush or a clean piece of rag.
Scrub the stained spot gently but firmly without pressing in so that you do not push the pee further into the couch.
Your choice of cleaning tool is dependent on the type of material your couch is made of. Check with the manufacturer’s manual for washing instructions.
On the other hand, your scrubbing has to be firm so that you can actually get the pee out. As you scrub, try to contain the stain within the spot it already occupies.
Use A Vacuum Cleaner
Use a vacuum cleaner to remove any leftover debris on your couch. Vacuum the stained spot, all crevices, and in between your couch.
Get The Smell Out
It is important that you do not use an ammonium-based cleaner to remove dog pee from your couch. And this is because you would just be compounding the smell problem.
On the other hand, bleach could bleach out your carpet. So use vinegar mixed with water.
However, even if you’ll be using vinegar, it is still important to test the solution on a part of your couch that isn’t really visible just to be sure that it doesn’t ruin the couch.
Once you have ascertained that the mixture will not ruin your couch, dab the spot with the vinegar solution. This should take care of the smell and disinfect the spot.
Baking soda is also a good deodorizer. Sprinkle baking soda on the couch fabric and allow it to sit overnight to soak up more smell. Afterward, suck up the baking soda with your vacuum cleaner.
Now, when we mention ‘rinse’, we do not mean that you should pour a bucket of water on your couch. You’ll need a clean rag and a bucket of just water for the rinse out.
Wet the rag and dab the cleaned spot as. Do this until you are sure you have gotten all the cleaning products out of your couch.
Use An Upholstery Cleaner To Clean The Couch
Get an upholstery cleaner to clean your couch. This will get rid of all left-over smell. Make sure you use the upholstery cleaner last after removing all smell as much as you can. Otherwise, you will end up with a wet dog smell.
Allow To Dry
This is actually a really important step. If you do not want a smelly couch that can breed mold, it is important that you allow your couch to dry out completely.
If you can, move the couch to a position where it can get some sunlight (if the fabric allows for that) or just take it outside. If not, you could just position a fan in such a way that it can blow-dry the couch.
Now, some people might decide to cover that spot so that their kids and pets cannot get to it.
However, while it is important to keep everybody away from that spot until it is dry, covering it might not be ideal. This is because covering the spot prevents it from getting the sun or air it needs to dry quickly.
Nonetheless, if you are covering the spot with a material that is breathable and can soak up moisture, that could actually work. You’d still have to allow the spot air-dry through.
Check out these interesting articles from our previous post:
- How Long Does It Take To Clean A House
- How Often Should I Clean My Carpet
- How to Clean A Dyson
- How to Clean A Water Dispenser
- How to Clean An AC Drain Line
- How to Help A Hoarder Clean
How to Keep Dogs From Couch
How do you keep your dog off your couch when you are not at home?
The following are methods you can use to keep your dog off your couch when you are not at home:
1. The pyramid method.
2. The laundry basket method.
3. The shrieker method.
These methods are dog training methods that will train your dog to keep off your couch. They require practice and patience.
The Pyramid Method
- Build a pyramid on your couch with rattle tins, otherwise called noisemakers. Build the pyramid in a part of your couch where you are sure they will fall when your dogs try to climb the couch.
- Show your dog the pyramid and instruct the dog to go and lie down on the bed.
- Go out and have some fun leaving your dog at home.
If the cans are intact when you return, praise your dog by giving the dog some treats. If the cans are on the ground, they probably startled your dog. With time, the dog will stop climbing the couch.
The Laundry Basket Method
- Cover the couch with lots of laundry baskets when you are going out.
- Tell your dog to keep off the couch and go and lie on the bed.
If the laundry baskets are still on the couch undisturbed when you return, give your dog a treat. If they have been tampered with, next time add some rattle cans on top of the laundry baskets. If they fall on the ground, your dog will be startled.
Repeat this several times, soon your dog won’t climb your couch when you are not at home.
The Shrieker Method
- Buy a shrieking alarm mat. It is a special mat that sounds an alarm when it is disturbed.
- Put the mat on the couch the next time you are going out.
After consistent use, your dog won’t go near the couch when you are not at home anymore.
It is important that you potty-train your dog. In addition, clean your couch immediately your dog pees on it. This makes cleaning easier and reduces the tendency to smell.
You can get slip cover or any other remover covers for your couch and wash them on a regular basis.
How to Clean Dog Pee From A Couch – Related FAQs
Why Is Your Dog Peeing On Your Couch?
Your dog is peeing on your couch due to the following:
- Unfamiliar objects.
- Establishing dominance. If your dog is not in good terms with another cat or dog, it might be difficult for it to blend into the environment. It will start marking territory to gain dominance.
- New faces in your home. If you have a new roommate or baby in the house, it may trigger your dog to pee on your couch as a subtle reminder that the house belongs to it.
- Anxiety. Sometimes, new items, people, or objects in the house can make your dog anxious. And when your dog is anxious, it pees on the couch.
- Contact with other unfamiliar animals.
What Scent Do Dogs Hate?
Here are scents dogs hate:
- Peppers like jalapeno, poblano, and chili.
- Vinegar. Dogs do not like the acrid smell of vinegar.
- Citrus. The smell of fruits such as oranges and lemons can keep your dog away from your couch and any other unwanted area.
- Mothballs. They have a pungent smell no dog can resist.
- Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol.
- Beauty products like hair sprays, nail polish, etc.
- Household cleaners.
- Cologne or perfume.
- Fresh herbs.
Note that none of these items or scents should be sprayed on the dog directly. This is because they can cause physical harm or burn their nose, eyes, and throat.
How Do You Keep Your House From Smelling Like A Dog?
To keep your house from smelling like a dog, do the following:
- Get an air purifier. It will reduce odors and allergies in your home, giving it a fresh smell.
- Wash your beds, clothes, blankets, and other items that the dog comes in contact with weekly and allow them to dry properly.
- Buy a smell-resistant bed for your dog that can resist dirt.
- Give your dog a waterless bath using wipes and shampoo.
- Place an open box of baking soda near your dog’s items. You can also sprinkle baking soda around your home to absorb the odors.
- Get an enzymatic cleaner that gets rid of odor and stains.
- Change your dog’s old collar.
- Wipe your dog’s paws before they enter your house.
- Dry your dog very well after a bath.
How Do You Make Your Dog Smell Nice?
Follow these steps to make your dog smell nice:
- Wash your dog with a natural shampoo that is mild on its skin.
- Wash the dog’s beddings regularly. Dirty beddings can make your dog smell.
- Brush the dog’s coat often to remove dust, debris, dirt, and mud. This keeps their coat tangle-free, clean, and healthy.
- Rinse your dog after each walk to prevent skin irritations caused by dirt.
- Keep your dog’s teeth clean. Also, give them bones, toys, and dog chew to clean their teeth naturally.
- Use baking soda to remove bad odors. Make sure you get confirmation from your vet before you use it.
- Clean your dog’s ear on a regular basis with cotton wool and ear cleaning solution.
How Do You Keep Pets Off Furniture With Aluminum Foil?
To keep pets off furniture with aluminum foil, do the following:
- Place aluminum foil on the specific area and leave it for about 2 or 3 days.
- Remove the aluminum foil.
- Observe your pet to know if it will go back to that area. This may take some days or one week.
- Replace the aluminum foil and leave it in the area for about a week if your pet goes back.
- Repeat this process until your dog gets the whole idea of this practice is to keep them away from that area.
- When this behavior stops, you are done.
How Do You Protect Furniture From Dog Urine?
The following will protect your furniture from dog urine:
- Treat your furniture with a fabric protector. This helps to prevent stains and soiling, making it easier to remove.
- Use an aerosol on your furniture and your couch no matter the type of fabric used (suede or nubuck leather).
- Get a leather protector for unfinished and finished leather on your furniture.
Keeping your furniture smelling nice and looking clean is a must if you want your home to look its best. In addition, you can train your dog on simple home etiquette and make an effort to always keep your dog clean.