In this article, we’ll be looking at two of Dyson’s early 2-in-1 vacuum cleaners: the Dyson V6 vs DC44. It is important to note that the Dyson V6 is a part of the Dyson V series which comprises 4 cleaners but differs from one another in sophistication.
Like the other cleaners in the V series, the Dyson V6 comes in a number of models that differ from one another in the number of cleaning tools each comes with.
In the entire V series, the V6 happens to have the highest number of models. Especially seeing as it comes in two lines: the stick line and the handheld line.
On the other hand, Dyson DC44 is also a member of a family of vacuum cleaners which we will call the Dyson DC.
The cleaners in this family share a couple of similarities like the digital motor. However, they also differ from one another in sophistication.
Unlike the Dyson V6, the Dyson DC44 is an individual cleaner and does not come in any other model.
Hence, in comparing the Dyson V6 vs the Dyson DC44 we’ll be using the most sophisticated model of the V6 (the V6 Absolute) as our focus model. However, we will point out to you those features that are present in this one but not in the others.
Now that you have an idea of the background of this article, you might need to go through the comparison overview if you do not have the time to go through the entire article.
Table of Contents
What Are The Interesting Features Of Dyson V6 And DC44?
The interesting features of Dyson V6 and DC44 are:
1. Dyson V6 has a digital motor that allows for better suction.
2. Dyson V6 has a soft roller head and a duster brush.
3. Dyson V6 has a HEPA filtration feature.
4. Dyson DC44 battery lasts two minutes longer than Dyson V6 if used in MAX mode.
Dyson V6 has a newer digital motor which is the V6 motor. This digital motor allows for better suction. Dyson DC44 may need a few more passes than the V6 to clean up the same mess.
Also, Dyson V6 has a soft roller head and a duster brush while Dyson DC44 has non. Most importantly, Dyson V6 has a HEPA filtration feature.
This is necessary if you or anyone in your home has any kind of respiratory problem. Although both vacuum cleaners last for 20 minutes at a time, the DC44 lasts two minutes longer than the Dyson V6 if used in MAX mode.
Price/Value Ratio — Dyson V6 vs DC44
Which offers more value for money: Dyson V6 vs DC44?
Dyson V6 offers better value for money than the Dyson DC44. This is because it is only the Dyson V6 Absolute model that comes with the HEPA filtration model.
Dyson products are usually pretty high-end and both the vacuum cleaners in this review live up to the norm.
Comparison Table Of The Specification Of Dyson V6 And DC44
|Run Time||20 minutes without a motorized tool. 6 minutes on max mode||20 minutes without a motorized tool. 8 minutes on max mode|
|Motor Technology||V6 digital motor||V2 digital motor|
|Dimensions||9.8 by 8.7 by 46.4 inches||11.8 by 5.7 by 28.4 inches|
|Weight||5.1 pounds||5.09 pounds|
|Charging Time||3 hours and 30 minutes||5 hours and 30 minutes|
|Dustbin Capacity||0.4 liter||0.3 liter|
|Suction In Max Mode||100 Airwatts||65 Airwatts|
|Cleaning Tools||Direct drive cleaner head, soft roller cleaner head, mini motorized tool, combination tool, crevice tool, and dusting brush tool.||Direct drive cleaner head, mini motorized tool, combination tool, and crevice tool|
Which Is Better: Dyson V6 vs DC44?
Dyson V6 is better because it offers more variety. Dyson V6 is recommended if you have different floors and cleaning needs. Also, Dyson V6 Asolute model comes with the HEPA filtration feature. This is good for people who have allergies or asthma.
If you want to save cost or can do without the different tools and features that comes with Dyson V6, consider getting a Dyson DC44.
Video: Dyson V6 Absolute Cordless Vacuum
This video will show you how the Dyson V6 vacuum cleaner works.
What Are The Common Features Of Dyson V6 And DC44?
The common features of the Dyson V6 and DC44 are:
2. 2-in-1 cleaner.
5. Cleaning tools.
What is the structure of Dyson V6 and DC44?
Dyson V6 and DC44 have the same basic structure: the top, body, and bottom. The top is the head of the vacuum cleaner, the body is the vacuum wand, and the bottom is the appropriate cleaning tool. Both vacuum cleaners are top-heavy because the motor that runs them is resident in the head.
This is the reason why neither of these cleaners can stand on their own without leaning on something. Furthermore, the head on Dyson V6 and DC44 cleaners houses basically the same things: a handle with a power button on the inside, a dustbin, a connection point, and some buttons.
It is important to know that to keep Dyson V6 and DC44 cleaners running, you’ll have to consistently press down the power button.
This way, there can’t be accidental battery discharge. There has to be a conscious pressing down of the battery for the cleaner to run.
2. 2-In-1 Cleaner
How many cleaners do Dyson V6 and DC44 have?
Dyson V6 and Dyson DC44 have 2-in-1 cleaners. They can serve as either a handheld cleaner or a stick cleaner because both cleaners come as detachable components.
If you need either of the cleaners to function as a stick cleaner, you’ll need to attach the vacuum wand to the connection point on the head. Then attach the appropriate tool to the vacuum wand. However, if what you need is a handheld cleaner, you’ll attach the appropriate cleaning tool directly to the connection point on the head.
Note that the V6 has a line of handheld models that cannot be anything but handheld cleaners.
How many docking stations do Dyson V6 and DC44 have?
Dyson V6 and DC44 come with one docking station each. The docking station is basically a wall mount with three pockets. The larger pocket is for hanging the cleaner while the two smaller pockets are for hanging two cleaning tools.
This storage feature is a nice addition as it helps clear floor space by having the cleaner hang on the wall. This is especially good considering the fact that both cleaners are top-heavy.
However, bear in mind that the spaces on this station might not be sufficient to accommodate all the cleaning tools. Hence, you’ll have to make room for them.
It is advisable that you position the docking station in such a way that it is close to a wall socket. This way, you will conveniently store the cleaner and make it possible to conveniently charge the cleaner.
Dyson V6 and DC44 are rechargeable cleaners that come with their own chargers. So, they do not come with a cord.
Cords tend to make cleaning complicated as they can get in the way, thereby making cleaning inconvenient. To move a corded cleaner from one room to the other, you’d have to make sure that the next room has a wall socket available.
5. Cleaning Tools
What are the cleaning tools found in Dyson V6 and DC44?
The cleaning tools found in Dyson V6 and Dyson DC44 are:
1. Combination tool.
2. Crevice tool.
3. Mini motorized tool.
Dyson V6 and DC44 come with a combination tool. The combination tool is basically a combination of two cleaning tools, a small cleaning brush, and a small cleaning nozzle.
To use, slide up the tool you need and then slide it back down when you’re done. The combination tool isn’t a motorized tool, so it is basically the same in both cleaners.
This tool comes with all the Dyson V6 models.
This is a specialized tool for reaching into corners and crevices. It looks like the nozzle tool on the combination tool. But the crevice tool is longer and has a slimmer mouth than the one on the combination tool.
The crevice tool is not a motorized tool. So, its performance is basically the same in both cleaners.
This tool comes with all the models of the V6.
Mini Motorized Tool
This cleaning tool is a motorized tool. Hence, there is a difference in how it works in both cleaners. A mini motorized tool is a small tool that is usually used on upholstery, cars, and sometimes floors to take care of hair and even ground-in dirt.
However, this tool does not come with all the Dyson V6 models. You’ll get the mini motorized tool with all the models in the handheld line not with the Motorhead model of the stick line.
Video: A Dyson DC44 Demonstration Video
Watch this video to know more about Dyson DC44
What Are The Unique Features Of Dyson V6 And Dyson DC44?
The unique features of Dyson V6 and DC44 vacuum cleaners are:
1. Handheld cleaners.
4. Cleaning tools.
1. Handheld Cleaners
Only the Dyson V6 comes with a line of handheld cleaners. This line of handheld cleaners is unlike the stick line.
With the stick line, you can get the cleaner to serve as a stick cleaner or a handheld cleaner just by adding or removing the vacuum wand. However, handheld cleaners can only be handheld.
Furthermore, the handheld cleaners have their primary cleaning tool as the mini motorized tool and don’t come with the larger one. This is
unlike the stick cleaners.
Additionally, a good number of cleaners in this line come with their own peculiar tools.
For instance, the Baby + Child model comes with a wide nozzle tool that can be used to take care of upholstery and cribs.
On the other hand, the Car + Boat model comes with an extension hose to allow you to reach certain places in your car. It also comes with a charger so that you can charge the cleaner on the go.
Which Dyson has the strongest suction?
Dyson V6 offers more suction power than Dyson DC44. Dyson V6 offers 100 Airwatts of suction in MAX mode while Dyson DC44 offers 65 Airwatts of suction in the MAX mode. The extra suction power of Dyson V6 ultimately affords you better and quicker cleaning. Whereas, you’d probably have to take the cleaner across your floors a couple of times to get things clean.
Dyson V6 and DC44 cleaners function in two modes: the regular or normal mode and MAX mode. They both offer the same run time in the regular mode. Dyson DC44 offers a longer run time of 8 minutes on MAX mode while the Dyson V6 has a run time of 6 minutes.
Though both cleaners offer about the same suction power in normal mode. In MAX mode, there is a marked difference.
Dyson V6 requires a charging time of about 3 hours and 30 minutes. This is kinda long if you’re going to get 20 minutes of run time.
On the other hand, the Dyson DC44 needs to be charged for 5 hours and 30 minutes.
What is the dustbin capacity of Dyson V6 and DC44?
The dustbin capacity of Dyson V6 is 0.4 liter. Dyson DC44 has a dustbin capacity of 0.3 liters. As a result, you have to dispose of the content of DC44 quite frequently than the V6 especially if you have to do intense cleaning.
Both vacuum cleaners come with dustbins instead of those dust bags. Also, Dyson V6 comes with a HEPA filtration feature. This filters the air as you clean by catching allergens and trapping them in the bin. After this, the air is purified enough that it is basically purer than what we breathe.
You don’t get this tool with Dyson DC44 or any of the handheld models of the V6 and some of the stick models. You can only get this feature with the Absolute model in the stick line.
4. Cleaning Tools
What are the unique cleaning tools of Dyson V6 vs DC44?
The following are the unique cleaning tools of Dyson V6 vs DC44:
1. Direct drive cleaner head.
2. Soft roller cleaner head.
3. Dusting brush tool.
Direct Drive Cleaner Head
Dyson V6 and DC44 come with a direct drive head which is the major cleaning tool for floors. However, there are differences in both models.
The direct drive cleaner head that comes with Dyson V6 has a stiff brush roll that allows it to dig into carpets dislodging dirt in the process.
While it is good on carpets and some other floor coverings, it is not the best on bare or hardwood floors. And it is also not the greatest choice for picking up large debris.
On the other hand, the direct drive cleaner head that the DC44 comes with has two brush rolls. They are the stiff brush roll that allows the cleaner to reach into carpets and floor coverings and the soft brush roll that clean hardwood floors and bare floors.
However, the direct drive cleaner head of the Dyson V6 model has about 75% more brush bar power than the DC44.
So, whichever design the direct driver comes with, the direct drive cleaner on Dyson V6 will definitely do a better job than the one on Dyson DC44.
Soft Roller Cleaner Head
The soft roller cleaner head comes with Dyson V6 and not the DC44. The soft roller cleaner head is Dyson’s way of making up for the deficiencies of the direct drive cleaner head of Dyson V6.
Hence, this cleaner head is the tool you will use on bare and hardwood floors. The brush roll is soft and so will glide gently along your floors, automatically sucking in the dirt and debris whether small or large.
The soft roller cleaner head is a motorized tool and like other motorized tools, using it will reduce run time. Also, you’ll only be getting this tool with the Absolute model of the V6 and none of the handheld models.
Dusting Brush Tool
Dyson DC44 does not come with a dusting brush tool. It is like the brush on the combination tool but this tool is larger and has softer bristles.
The dusting brush tool is usually used for somewhat sensitive dusting like window panes, screens, and even keyboards.
However, this tool doesn’t come with any of the models of handheld cleaners. It also doesn’t come with the Dyson V6 Motorhead model.
Video: Dyson V6 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner Demonstration
This video will show you another Dyson V6 demonstration
What Are The Unique Pros Of Dyson V6?
The unique pros of Dyson V6 are:
1. Dyson V6 comes in 2 lines and each line has a couple of models that should afford you a variety of options.
2. Dyson V6 comes with different cleaning tools. The different tools can clean different surfaces and floor types.
3. Dyson V6 gives more suction power in max mode and also offers more brush bar power vs the Dyson DC44.
4. The Absolute Dyson V6 model comes with the HEPA filtration that captures allergen, traps them in the bin, and leaves behind fresh air free of allergens.
What Are The Unique Pros Of Dyson DC44?
The unique pros of the Dyson DC44 are:
1. Dyson DC44 is more affordable than the Dyson V6.
2. The 2-in-1 brush roll tool feature of Dyson DC44 is an added advantage. So, you won’t need to switch cleaning heads when you’re switching rooms or floors.
What Is The Con Of Dyson V6?
- Dyson V6 costs slightly more than the Dyson DC44.
What Are The Cons Of Dyson DC44?
The cons of Dyson DC44 are:
1. Dyson DC44 does not have as much suction power in the MAX mode like the Dyson V6. There is a significant difference between 100 Airwatts and 65 Airwatts.
2. Dyson DC44 doesn’t come in as many variations and with as many tools as the Dyson V6.
Common Pros — Dyson V6 vs DC44
|Flexible||The Dyson V6 is a flexible cleaner in the sense that it can serve as either a handheld cleaner or a stick cleaner. Also, the cleaner is flexible enough to be able to clean high up on walls and down below low furniture. Of course, this only pertains to the cleaners in the stick line.||Same as the V6. However, the DC44 doesn’t come with a handheld line of cleaners.|
|Cordless||We also like that the Dyson V6 is cordless. It is certainly more convenient to move the cleaner from room to room when you don’t need to be bothered about the availability or otherwise of a wall socket.||Same as the V6.|
|Convenient Storage||Convenience seems to be a common thread in the pros section. The Dyson V6 comes with a docking station that helps free up wall space by hanging the cleaner on the wall.||Same as the V6.|
Video: Unboxing Dyson DC44
This video will show you how Dyson DC44 works.
Common Cons — Dyson V6 vs DC44
|Dustbin Capacity||The Dyson V6 has a dustbin capacity of just 0.4 liters. So, you have to frequently dispose of the content in the bin.||Same as the V6. However, at 0.3 liters, the DC44 has an even less carrying capacity.|
|Power||To get the cleaner on and running, you’ll need to consistently hold down the power button. And that could get really tiring.||Same as the V6.|
|Run Time & Charge Time||The V6 runs for 20 minutes without a motorized tool and that might not be long enough to do all the cleaning one needs to do. In contrast, the cleaner needs to charge for about 3 hours and 30 minutes.||Same as the V6. However, at 5 hours and 30 minutes, the DC44 certainly needs to charge for longer.|
Check out these interesting articles from our previous post:
What People Think About Dyson V6 And Dyson DC44
|People like that the V6 provides good suction especially in max mode. That the cleaner is lightweight also seems to be getting people going with this cleaner. Flexibility is also something that the V6 is scoring highpoints in.||People actually seem to be fine with the DC44 and it is majorly because of the convenience of the cleaner being cordless. However, there are other things that people seem to like about this cleaner like the fact that it comes with an easy to empty bin and it does a good job of cleaning up messes.|
|However, some people are not excited about the dustbin disposal and even the fact that the docking station does not provide enough space for all the cleaning accessories.||However, there are few complaints about the docking station not having enough space for all the accessories and also the fact that the dustbin is small.|
What We Think About Dyson V6 And Dyson DC44
|The basic reason we like Dyson V6 is its versatility. It comes in a number of models (stick and handheld), so we think there is bound to be a model that fits basically any need.||The Dyson DC44 might not be as versatile as the V6 in the number of models it comes in or even the number of tools it comes with, but it still holds its own. And we cannot take away the fact that it is more affordable than the DC44.|
|Granted there are shortcomings but if you think the ups outweigh the downs, click here to get the Dyson V6.||Click here to get the Dyson DC44.|
Dyson V6 vs DC44 — Related FAQs
How Do You Clean A Dyson DC44 Canister?
To clean a Dyson DC44 canister, do the following:
- Empty the vacuum canister to remove all debris.
- Open the flap at the bottom of the canister to remove the form filter. Set this aside.
- Turn the vacuum cleaner upside down to remove the roller cover using a flathead screwdriver.
- Remove any trapped hair on the roller using scissors.
- Blow out trapped dirt or dust with the compressed air and replace the roller cover.
- Flip the cyclone portion of the vacuum over a garbage can and blow the compressed air on each tiny hole.
- Place the canister, sponge filter, and cyclone in a bowl of soapy water.
- Wash the sponge filter in the soapy water and squeeze until it is clean.
- Run water through the vacuum canister and wash it thoroughly with soap.
- Wipe the cyclone section with a wet paper towel.
- Allow all wet sections of the vacuum to dry properly for 24 hours at least.
Make sure all tiny holes in the canister and cyclone portion are cleaned. You must allow the canister and other parts that had contact with water to dry completely. This is because leaving moisture in these parts will cause dirt to accumulate in the holes. This will make emptying and cleaning of the canister more difficult. As much as possible, do not wash the cyclone part of your vacuum under running water.
How To Do A Battery Pack Replacement For A Dyson DC44?
To do a battery pack replacement for a Dyson DC44, do the following:
- Unplug the vacuum from the power source.
- Push the red lever or button close to the vacuum handle down.
- Push the red button down for a second time to release the bin and remove it from the cyclone.
- Unscrew the battery pack using a Philips size 2 screwdriver then remove the battery pack from the vacuum.
- Fix the battery pack into the vacuum following these instructions in a reverse order.
How Do You Stop Your Dyson V6 From Smelling?
Follow these steps to stop Dyson V6 from smelling:
- Detach the bagless receptacle for hair strands following the manufacturer’s instruction.
- Flip the receptacle upside down over a garbage can and shake the bottom to remove all dirt/pet hair.
- Mix half teaspoon of dish soap with half gallon of lukewarm water in a big bowl or bucket.
- Wet a clean cloth with the soapy solution.
- Wash the receptacle thoroughly with the damp cloth to get rid of dirt and other accumulated grime that causes the smell.
- Use a cloth damped with clean water to rinse the receptacle.
- Wipe the receptacle dry with a clean dry cloth.
- Detach the HEPA filter from the vacuum and remove all visible pet hair clumps from it.
- Run cool water through the HEPA filter to remove the residue until it’s thoroughly clean.
- Squeeze the HEPA filter gently and leave it to air-dry for about 12 hours for a complete drying process.
- Wet a clean cloth with pure vinegar and wipe the exteriors of the vacuum.
- Clean the receptacle and all interiors with the vinegar-wet cloth and wipe the vacuum with a dry clean cloth.
- Put 2 drops vanilla extract on a cotton ball and drop it into the receptacle.
- Secure the receptacle to the vacuum.
Vanilla extract is a natural deodorizer. It absorbs odor effectively.
How Do You Remove The Filter On A Dyson V6?
To remove the filter on a Dyson V6, do the following:
- Disconnect the vacuum from the charger.
- Twist the vacuum anti-clockwise to remove the filter from the machine.
- Wash the filter under running water ensuring that all parts of the filter are washed.
- Tap the filter gently over the sink or trash can to remove all leftover debris.
- Repeat this cleaning process for about 4 to 5 times until the filter is clean.
- Place the filter in an upright position to completely dry for 24 hours, Max button face upwards.
- Replace the filter to the vacuum and twist it in a clockwise direction until the filter clicks into position.
Make sure you are careful not to turn the vacuum on while detaching the filter from the machine. You need to wash the filter frequently if the vacuum is used mostly in a ‘power suction’ mode or used to vacuum fine dust.
Finally, do not place the filter close to a naked flame or wash it in a washing machine, oven, dishwasher, microwave, or tumble dryer.
Why Does Your Dyson Keep Shutting Off?
The following are reasons why your Dyson keeps shutting off while vacuuming:
- Low battery. Low battery is the commonest reason why the Dyson vacuum shuts down while vacuuming. It is also possible that the battery stopped charging or it’s not plugged in properly. Charge the battery for 2 or 3 hours before you power the vacuum.
- Clogged filter. A blocked filter can make the Dyson vacuum shut off or pulsate on and off while vacuuming. To unclog the filter, remove it from the vacuum and remove all debris or dirt. Allow the filter to dry properly before returning it back to the machine.
- Blocked attachments or nozzle. To remove the blockages, turn off power and disconnect the vacuum. Detach the tool head from the wand and remove the wand from the bottom of the vacuum. Check the base of the vacuum, base or neck of the tool head and remove any blockages.
- Frozen Flap. A flap can get stuck inside the head of the Dyson vacuum. Remove the attachment and locate the stuck flap. Push the flap gently until it is loose.
- MAX button on. If the MAX button is on, it can make the Dyson vacuum to pulsate on and off. Hold down the power switch and gently depress the MAX switch to turn it off.
You may need to repeat this a couple of times to do it correctly.
How Do You Reset Your Dyson V6?
To reset Dyson V6, do the following:
- Switch off the Dyson vacuum and unplug it from the power source.
- Turn the vacuum upside down to reveal the vacuum cleaner head.
- Use a screwdriver to unscrew the vacuum cleaner head.
- Unscrew the soleplate that secures the cover to the vacuum cleaner head. This reveals the brush bar.
- Check the brush bar for any buildup of debris or blockage and clean it thoroughly.
- Reassemble the vacuum cleaner head, soleplate, and the cover.
- Turn on the brush bar’s switch to reset the brush bar.
- Flip back the vacuum upright and power it on.
If your vacuum model does not have a brush bar switch, restore power to the vacuum to do a reset.