How long does it take to clean a house? Well, there is no particular answer to this question. This is because there are many things to consider in determining how long it will take to clean.
So, to answer this question, we’ll examine different factors and answer more questions. Let’s go!
Table of Contents
How Big Is the House?
To determine how long it will take to clean a house, it is important to take the size of the house into consideration. The size includes the actual square space and how many rooms are in the house.
Some houses have a lot of small rooms while some have a few large rooms. A large house will obviously take longer to clean than a small house. More rooms might actually equal more cleaning time especially if the rooms are weirdly spaced.
That said, if you are dealing with just one open space/room, you could clean up the place between 45 minutes and 1 hour.
A two-room house could be cleaned in about an hour and thirty minutes. Then you can continue to add 45 minutes or one hour for every extra room.
However, there is more to the amount of time it takes to clean than the size of the house or the number of rooms.
How Many People Are Cleaning?
The more people involved in the cleaning, the faster the cleaning process will be. So, if one person is doing the cleaning, the time frame varies.
However, if you are working with other people, you might be able to do the cleaning in half the time. We must state here that the total time you are able to clean your house depends on how fast all parties involved are.
This also depends on whether you all stick to the cleaning process and do not go off doing something else. That said, if you’ll be hiring a cleaning company, they could actually clean your house in half the time it will take you to clean.
This is because they are professionally trained. Additionally, they have learned to maximize the amount of time available to clean the house. You and your team could learn this with practice.
Video: How Long Does it Take to Clean a House?
This video will show you all you need to know about house cleaning.
When Was the House Last Cleaned?
This is a very important factor. If the house has not been cleaned in a while, you could double the time we already mentioned.
However, if you are just doing a touch-up cleaning the time frame could be shorter.
Check out these interesting articles from our previous post:
- How to Clean Up Raw Sewage Under The House
- How to Clean A Vacuum Hose
- How to Clean A Bissell Vacuum Cleaner
- What Is The Average Cost To Clean A Hoarder House
- How to Clean House Keys
- How to Clean Mold Off A Bounce House
What Kind of Cleaning Are You Going For?
You have to figure out whether you are going for a spring cleaning, deep cleaning carpets, or a regular cleaning.
If you are just doing regular cleaning, you can do it in the time frame we already predicted. However, if you’ll be moving furniture, rearranging stuff, and doing a deep cleaning, it could take hours.
Should You Employ the Services of a Cleaning Company or Not?
This is entirely up to you, especially after considering all the factors that we have already mentioned. However, a few suggestions:
We consider it more budget-friendly to do your cleaning yourself if you have a small house. A cleaning company will definitely do the cleaning faster, but it doesn’t take so long to clean a small house in the first place.
However, if you are deep cleaning your house, hiring a cleaning agency could be a good thing irrespective of the size of your house.
Note that the less messy your house is, the easier it would be for the cleaning company to clean and the less they might charge you. So, do the regular cleaning of your house.
Finally, if you have a bad infestation in your home such as mold growth, a cleaning service is the better option because they are better equipped to eliminate the danger.
How Do You Effectively Clean Your House?
The following are steps to effectively clean your house:
1. Set small realistic goals.
2. Motivate yourself.
3. Build a cleaning routine.
4. Declutter your home often.
5. Involve your kids.
How Long Does It Take to Clean a House – Related FAQs
What Is the Difference Between Regular Cleaning and Deep Cleaning?
The differences between regular cleaning and deep cleaning are:
- Regular cleaning is cleaning done daily or weekly while deep cleaning is done once or twice every year.
- Regular cleaning maintains some level of cleanliness in your home while deep cleaning reaches the deep dirt and grime in your house.
Regular cleaning covers mopping of floors, kitchen cupboard doors and work surfaces, bathroom mirror, sink, and general tidying up.
Deep cleaning covers washing all windows, window blinds, patio doors, behind kitchen appliances, and full dusting.
What Order Do You Clean Your House?
Follow this order to clean your house:
- Sweep or vacuum the floors in your house.
- Dust every room including the top of furniture, television screens, handrails, picture frames, knickknacks, kitchen surfaces, and shelves undersides.
- Change your bed sheets, pillows, and furniture blankets. Then wipe the surface of your furniture with warm water and microfiber cloth.
- Clean windows and mirrors in your home.
- Clean your toilet, kitchen shelves, and appliances.
- Scrub the kitchen, bathroom floors, and other floors that need cleaning.
Is a Messy House a Sign Of Mental Illness?
A messy house could be a sign of mental illness and other factors. Sometimes, a messy house can get some people anxious. This is particularly true for people who always want to keep their things clean.
Hoarders also fall into this category. They fill their homes with trivial objects and soon, the house is filled with useless items.
It can also mean you are too busy and have no time to clean or organize your home.
Other factors include having young children or many things in your house.
It is advisable to clean as you go, set realistic goals, and don’t push yourself too hard.
How Do You Clean the Walls in Your House?
The following are methods of cleaning the walls in your house, depending on the type of wall:
Method 1: Unpainted walls
- Cover furniture or carpet in your home with temporary coverings such as newspaper and painter’s groundsheets to prevent spills of cleaning solution or water on your valuables.
- Move everything resting against the wall.
- Dust the wall using a dusting brush, broom, or vacuum cleaner. Be careful not to scratch the walls in the process.
- Start cleaning from the top of the wall and dry as you go, to prevent drip marks or streaks.
Method 2: Painted walls
- Remove stains or marks from the walls.
- Clean the walls with warm soapy water mixed with vinegar and rinse off.
How Do You Prevent Dirty Walls?
To prevent dirty walls, do the following:
- Keep your walls free from dust and spots.
- Vacuum your painted walls using a soft brush cleaning attachment.
- Wipe your wall with a mop or broom covered with cloth. You can also use an electrostatic dusting wipe or dusting agent for this purpose.
- Wipe fingerprints and any other mark from your walls immediately you notice them.
- Do not use too much water to clean your walls. This can leave dirty drips or streaks on the walls.
What Is the Fastest Way to Clean A Hoarder’s House?
Follow these steps to clean a hoarder’s house:
- Evaluate the house and create a cleaning or decluttering strategy. This will help you to know the type of cleaning supplies or equipment you need and how long the cleaning will take.
- Protect yourself in case of an emergency.
- Get all the cleaning supplies you need for this project.
- Empty the rooms from top to bottom to make your cleaning easier.
- Sort out your items to determine which item should be trashed, kept, donated, or recycled.
- Clean and sanitize your home thoroughly after decluttering. Repair areas that are faulty before replacing your valuables.
What Is the Best Day of The Week to Have Your House Cleaned?
The best day of the week to have your house cleaned depends on your schedule. This is because there is no straight cut rule for house cleaning. It is recommended that you choose a day that is not filled with other plans or commitments.
If you usually work from Monday to Friday, your cleaning should be done on Saturday or Sunday.
If you prefer going for errands and family activities during the weekends, set some time aside during the week for cleaning your home. If you are free during the day, it is best to do it then and leave your evening free for relaxation.